With all the buzz of search engine marketing very few so-called SEO experts understand the real purpose of search engines. They tell you search engines are there to bring you traffic. That's wrong!
The only purpose of a search engine is to help their visitors find something so they come back to the search engine (not your website.) Load search users generate review from analytic tools, advertising, and other data mining the average visitor never sees.
That's why search engines view your site with such objective measures. If you try to scam the engines, they assume you would scam their visitors. If you get ranked on unrelated terms, they assume you aren't focused on your market.
When you understand that search engines are protective of their customers, only wanting to send them to quality resources, then you can quickly increase the number of referrals they send you. Not because your site is valuable, but because the visitor searched and found what they wanted.
Search engine loyalty is the only reason one site may rank over another. The site provide the greatest value per term gets the top spot, and your whole site better stand behind that value.
This is why SEO gimmicks always fail, as fast as you can come up with them engines will identify them. You are fighting against thousands of computers who work 24/7; instead, how do you make search engines want to send you more traffic?
Here are some formulas excerpted from my big B2B website profits tool kit:
- Better connect with your target audience. By giving your visitors what they want, they will stay longer and come back more frequently. This means understand what motivates your buyers.
- Get your visitors to stay longer by providing clear direction. Guide interested visitors through your site to key objectives, for other visitors, move them along to areas of your site that most interests them.
- Let visitors to share their e-mail so you can invite them back. By capturing an email address you get a chance to make a second impression, inviting a visitor back with gifts or more ways to involve themselves with your site.
- Keep each page focused on one or two ideas, followed by a next step. This next step may take the visitor deeper into a specific topic or let them request information. This engages visitors and helps them stay.
- Match what visitors are seeking. This means you must truly understand what it is that the majority of your visitors want, give it to them, and collect it from them. Match what is in the mind of visitors.
If this article hints that “big brother” is watching, then take it that way. Search engines are in the data business, they measure and track everything about how their visitors interact with you. Now more than ever, visitor behavior influences your websites quality score.
Anything other than real value and service (or paying them to rank you) will lower your standing in their view. Focus first on your target buyer, then the language they use to find what you offer, and then keywords for best results.
© 2009 B2B Website Profits, All rights reserved.
Justin Hitt provides SEO and search engine marketing to high volume business websites interested in attracting more customers. For details on his services visit https://www.jwhco.com/